4.05.2010

Yee Haw

My niece has a goal to be in a rodeo like myself, her mom, and her other aunt. Last summer while I was laid off, I had a lot of time to ride and started to train a new horse on barrels. She asked for riding lessons and we got a few in before I got a job and the weather turned cold and Daylight Savings ended. So now that the weather is warm, she wants to get back on that pony.

For some reason, she has always been a little scared to be on a horse. When she was little, we always put her on one and walked her around but once you give her the reins and tell her what to do on her own, she panics. At fourteen she's a lot further behind than any of us five Madsen kids were. But she has a goal!!! And last Saturday (March 27th), her first lesson of the year after being off all winter, she did tonz better. When a horse trots too fast or breaks into a lope, she has been super afraid, but it's wearing off and she is doing awesome.
Last year it was a lot like pulling teeth to get her to do more than a walk. There was always a reason why she 'couldn't' do it. Now she's just going for it. I think it would be the bomb.com to watch my niece in a High School Rodeo in a few years and see her tear it up like we all did. Her goal is my goal, too :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the last pic. Nice piece of photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I worked at the Grand Canyon, the owner of the lodge I worked at took me and a friend to his ranch to shoot rabbits and round up some horses. There was only one saddle, so my friend got it because she was going to ride a wilder horse. I rode bareback for the first time. (Let it be known that it was like my second time on a horse.) It of course started to rain. My friend and her horse took off; my horse decided to race...I was thrown, landed on my head in the mud. What a site we made walking into the lodge, covered in mud, carrying our guns and me with a limp and an odd twitch in my neck. Needless to say, I've been skitish of horses ever since. I'm sure your neice could ride circles around most of us. Oh, and ps: love that last photo with the sun rays on your neice...I think you must be a budding photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks guys. Didn't you know that I am a pro??

    ReplyDelete