4.22.2010

The Lovely Bones

My awesome friend Becky gave me this book for Christmas and I read it right away. I was enthralled with the book from the beginning. It's now a movie so maybe some of you have already seen it but it's about a 14 year old girl who is raped and murdered by a neighbor and she goes on to live in heaven and observes her family for years. I found it so interesting the way the author created heavens and told the story. The ending.....well, the ending was out of nowhere and didn't really make sense to me, or Becky if I remember right.

Anyway, I recommended this book to my book club and it was a very different conversation than normal. Some things were confusing and other things made you mad and other things didn't make any sense and the ending got a thumbs down from everyone (it really was just out of nowhere!). Some people skipped right through the beginning, which I thought was weird because the beginning, albeit a little violent, is not described in too great of detail. Yes, it's an awful act but I found the beginning to be the most interesting part.

So! I haven't seen the movie yet but I plan to because I want to compare. (And a little side note about that is that I hate who they chose for Suzie, the main character...and her sister for that matter). I did like this book! Life is not always rainbows and roses and so it would make sense that not all books describe life that way. So, if you can take it, I recommend this book :)

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about this book. I tried to read it a while back. . . but I couldn't stomach the beginning. I might just have to give it another try. :)

    ReplyDelete