4.19.2010

Well....That Sucks

I happened upon this on my morning commute today:

This is the second car that I have seen burst into flames.

I could see commotion up ahead, along with two cement trucks and some construction workers so I assumed they were doing something on the road, but as I got closer I could see differently and the poor owner of the truck was trying to douse the flames on his truck with a fire extinguisher....it wasn't helping.


Years and years ago when I worked at the Riverton True Value (Senior year in High School probably) some kid's Jeep Cherokee broke down on the street right in front of the store. This was back when there was still a house on the corner and the street hadn't been redone. The poor kid had just bought it, didn't have much money and was soon to be married. I felt so bad when the car burst into flames and he was freakin' out about how his fiance was going to kill him!! He nearly went bald from pulling his hair and I think he was crying. In a short time there was nothing left of his car but a really black, charred frame. Me and my co-worker had called the police and when the police showed up, he took information from Todd, who didn't want to be giving personal information because he had a warrant out for his arrest!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a few car fires in my time. Last one was almost to the summit of Parley's Canyon. Poor little beater car just couldn't make it and somehow burst into flame.

    I busted out the extinguisher, but decided to let the pros handle it when tires started exploding and all. The fire dudes opened the drivers door and put out the engine fire from under the dashboard with their seven kajillion psi water hose. I got to be all social workery with the poor girl who just lost her car, then drove on to scout camp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I married to a stud or what! I'd write more, but I think we'll be turning in to bed now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete