6.08.2010

A Small Family "Reunion"

Saturday was a super crazy day. My grandma had scheduled an overnighter 'family reunion' at Heber Valley Camp. Unfortunately, half the family couldn't make it. It was quite the dive. Hence, why I felt I needed to go even though I had a million things to do and I had to cancel on a few primary gigs. I wanted my grandma to feel like we cared to make it. So while everyone else had headed up on Friday night, I headed up Saturday morning after my friend had left from staying over after Bunco. I got a late start (due to said friend) and then had to pick up my niece and her friend on the way up.
I have always loved the drive up to Heber for some reason. I used to go there a couple times a year to rodeo and it's still a favorite place of mine. Heber Valley Camp, I learned is a LDS camp where a lot of Youth Conferences and Young Women Camps are held. I suppose for them it could be quite fun but for me, it sucked.
We had to do these Challenger Courses, which was equally awkward/dumb and funny/fun. We had lunch and then went to the lake for our scheduled hour. You can't swim, you can't wear swimsuits and all you can do is either paddleboat or canoe for an hour. There are reasons, I'm sure.
I snapped a few pics at the end because I wasn't really in the picture taking mood.
My niece and her best friend, Katie:

Me, being all tired and ornery cuz I didn't want to go out on the paddleboat but my niece is so obnoxious at times:

My dad giving his nephew (left) and a niece's son (middle) a ride in the canoe:
And that's all folks. We went back to clean up the site and bathrooms, have inspection, say goodbye and head out. At least going made my grandma happy and that was enough for me. It would have been better if 80% of the family hadn't been missing, but whatdya do?? I'm next time will be a blast.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to go soooooo bad!!!! I got the flu over the weekend! Love you cuz!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were!! I think it would have actually been a lot of fun with everyone there...it was just really....sparse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a bummer that the fam was missing, but you definitely made the right choice by going. I know how bad if feels to plan something and have no one show. And you were a trooper, not feeling well and everything. Hope you're tiptop now.

    ReplyDelete