6.08.2010

Finally...We're Empty-Nesters

Hungry, anyone??

Last year, whilst in a period of joblessness, I noticed a scratching, fluttering sound while I was in the upstairs bathroom. It sounded like a rodent, i.e. a rat, crawling through my vents. I went to the downstairs bathroom and listened some more, ready to run at any sight of a rat in my house. Come to find out it was a bird. Phew!! I told Paul about it and then we forgot about it. I would hear it periodically but then winter came and it was gone.

Come early spring, I could hear the fluttering again. I went outside and found the tiny blue egg above cracked open on the ground. Crap. Told Hubband that we really needed to get that nest out of there. I know I could have done it if I really bucked up but I hate sticking my hands in spaces that are unkown. Even the garbage disposal freaks me out. Well, Hubband was extremely busy, therefore, after a few more cracked eggs that had tumbled out of my dryer vent and onto the ground, it was very obvious that the eggs had hatched. I would be sitting on the bathroom counter getting ready for work and hear the bird land in the dryer vent and the little birds would go nuts chirping away for breakfast. We decided to leave it be until we knew they were gone.

So the birds are gone. Except one. Because it's dead. In my freaking dryer vents!!!!! While I had all my friends over for Bunco, the evidence first started to appear. I thought something had to be wrong with our pipes and thought it weird I hadn't noticed it when I came home from work. The next day it got worse and followed my hound dog nose around my laundry room/bathroom trying to figure out if was my toilet...but the smell is worse on the other side by the dryer and furnace. Freaking great. Paul tried to get to the nest - and can't. And there is no way of knowing where that bird is.

Any suggestions??

4 comments:

  1. I have no advice for you but I wanted to tell you that that really sucks! A dead bird stinking up your house is really the pits. That is strange that the bird would make the nest so far up the dryer vent - stupid bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it's time for the Ghostbusters. I think they handle these types of things along with their ghost-fighting-ness. Oh and you mentioning the disposal reminds me of a funny incident at our house in Ephraim. Remember Frank the goldfish? Was his name even Frank? May he rest in peace. That was a miserable day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L. O. freaking L!!! I remember that goldfish...and your reaction was the best of all! I still can't believe I did that to it...only because the thought of fish guts all over the inside of the disposal make me gag

    ReplyDelete
  4. My suggestion is: just wait for the smell of rotting flesh and then follow your nose.

    ReplyDelete