3.22.2010

Come On, Little Pony

Saturday I went out to the West Desert with my Pa, my oldest sister and her husband. It's been years since I have been riding out in the desert and it was so nice to be out there again.
We were supposed to take off around nine, but this little pony put us back about a half an hour:
This is Roxy and she recently developed a phobia of trailers. She freaked out in the trailer, sitting down and refusing to move. When she did get up, she freaked out all over again and then sat back down. You can see how she wore the hair right off her haunches there by doing so. Luckily, the other horses are well trained and they dealt with her tantrum pretty well.
It took us an hour to get to our destination and once we were on the road, we still had a few minor setbacks with Roxy. She constantly threw fits and kicked, one time nailing my sister in her foot, and my dad would have to work and work and work with her. At one time, while he had her in a circle, she twisted so far that she fell over and threw my dad in a tree! Well, my dad doesn't tolerate attitude with horses so he refused to let her get up until he was good and ready.
By the time he reached that point, she refused to get up. I had to pull her up with my horse! After that little incident, she was dripping wet from head to toe with sweat and plain wore out. My dad didn't have anymore problems with her after that.


We had a nice ride after that. Kenny really enjoyed himself - he is new with all of this and this was his first day long trip.

The best part is when we stop for lunch. Food never tastes as good as it does when you've been out riding all day. We built a small fire and roasted hot dogs - they were the bomb.com. Bacardi wouldn't touch his own food but instead waited by feet for a hot dog. We had one left over and so he munched on his dog and left his food for the coyotes.



The only other set back we had was when my horse decided to have it out with a tree. We were heading up a hill and I had my feet dangling out of the stirrups. I had barely put my feet in when Smoke decided to kill a tree and because I didn't quite have my balance yet, I nearly went over. It all makes for an interesting and fun time, though, as long as no one gets hurt.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first picture I have EVER seen of your Pa smiling! It's so nice to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fun day! Feel bad for the poor horse though - looks like a sore hip. I don't think I'd enjoy the trailer ride either.

    ReplyDelete