9.01.2009

Riding The Ponies

I grew up riding horses and one of our family activities was to go out to the desert and do an all day ride. It's super fun. We don't make it out to the desert so much anymore however, my dad takes the horses to Yellowfork Canyon in Herriman (only a fifteen minute drive from the house) and goes riding a couple times a week. I love go riding and I don't get to go up the canyon often. So Friday, since Paul was leaving on a Scout camp, I headed out with my dog and we went riding with my parents.

This is Bacardi right before we started off - he was super excited, as you can tell:

It was such a great night for riding.

This is my horse, B.J. My rodeo horse was sold a couple years ago and recently I took up training this guy. He is actually the baby of my other rodeo horse that I used for Barrel Racing.
It was Bacardi's first time on a ride and he had a lot of fun being out where he can run a muck with the other horses. He was pretty funny cuz he wanted to be at the head of the line the entire time but if we started and he didn't get ahead, he would be stuck at the back of the line until there was an open pasture where he could run out and get in the front. He didn't figure out that he could just go off the trail and run through the trees and bushes to get ahead. I could see him try and bypass me, but then a bush would come up and he would fall back behind. Such a dork.


The scenery was beautiful and the weather was fantastic:

When we got back to the trailer and I had B.J. unsaddled, he started stomping his feet and snorting at the meadow behind the trailer. My dad looked a little closer and he found that there were deer just chilling about 20 feet away from us. So I krept to the edge of the meadow and started taking pictures. The deer actually took a few steps toward me! I was pretty happy to get an even closer picture since I wasn't even ten feet from him....and then in rushes my dog. Dumb dog. We usually see tonz of deer but this time we only saw a couple.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Remember how I always want to ride your horses but I never get to. Gosh darn it. It looks like fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Bacardi's face says it all...pure joy! Thank God for beautiful scenery, talented horses, and dumb dogs.

    ReplyDelete