9.19.2010

Birthday Fondue

This past weekend one of my dear friends, Teresa the Fabulous, celebrated her birthday! She and I have talked several times of getting together for Fondue and I figured it would be perfect timing to finally have that get together with her birthday coming up!
While trying to decide which of the fabulous fondue recipes we wanted to try (and it was a very hard process!) she had a brilliant idea to take me downtown to see some of her favorite spots. How very Teresa to treat someone else to something on her own birthday!!
Saturday morning the first stop on my 'tour' was....a place that I can't remember...but it has tonz of unique and beautiful things for your home and outdoors. The best part was their garden outside. It was small, peaceful and very beautiful. I want a garden like that of my own to retreat to.
Next on our tour was Tabula Rasa at Trolley Square. She loves fun and unique stationary, invitations, and wax seals, etc. Plus they have so many fun and unique things like glass work and little jeweled statues plus lots of books...I love books!
We stopped by Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory on the way out and I grabbed an Apple Pie Apple (my favorite!!!), a Peanut Butter Bucket (which I didn't even get to try....HUSBAND!!) and we each had some yummy flavored truffles.
Onward to the Salt Lake City Library...which I can't believe that I have never been there before now. I love the architecture and the design and the cool stores inside. The roof has an amazing view of the city and the stair case and fountain/waterfall was pretty inspiring. Loved this stop!
Next she took me to my new favorite place: Gourmandise. Ho. Ly. Hannah!! I couldn't believe all the fantastic french pastries and yummy cakes and cookies. Heaven!! We shared a frittata and each bought some fabulous pastries to take home...they were soooooo good.
Next we hit up Tony Caputo's - I love this place! Unique chocolates and every cheese you can think of. The Primadonna cheese Teresa bought was top notch. We also got to taste test a variety of Balsamic Vinaigrettes and Olive Oils. They were so good and I snatched one up for myself! Tony Caputo's inspired my inner cook...I think I need to sign up for some more cooking classes!
Leaving Tony Caputo's we went next door to Carlucci's Bakery for a Black & White cookie (very good) and some fabulous baguettes for the fondue. They too have some great things to choose from. We walked across the street to check out the Farmer's Market after that...and found ourselves spending most of the time at the booth for The Soap Lady. Her soaps are fantastic! My mom has dabbled in making some of her own soaps and it sure is a fun hobby. This lady's soaps are pretty and smell soooo good!
Alright!! That was my tour! I loved each place we went and felt so happy to go and try something new and unique to Salt Lake. So very fun. And all because of my fab friend!
Later in the evening, the fondue party began! We made two cheese fondues, The Traditional and Feta & Walnut:

Had an entree fondue of broth called Mojo:


Two chocolate fondues, the Flaming Turtle and an Almaretto:


It was definately an experience, right Teresa?? It's going to take a couple of sessions to work out all the kinks but the fun part was being with friends and Teresa is an amazing cook so it was perfect to have her along for the ride :) We had a bit of trouble with both of our cheeses but the important part is that they both tasted really good!!!
The most trouble free part was the entree - easy and delicious. We both made a sauce for the meat, one Horseradish and one called the Green Goddess. We ate chicken, beef and shrimp!
Paul and Teresa enjoying my nummy Mojo:
Did you notice my fondue pot?? I love that thing...I can't wait to do more!!
Lastly came the chocolate. We had a bit of trouble with the white chocolate but we salvaged it and it was delicious anyway!! The Flaming Turtle went much better except I forgot to mix in the cream before we set it on fire. No pictures unfortunately but that's okay. We enjoyed our chocolate fondue outside with the fire and stuffed ourselves on strawberries, bananas, mangos, and marshmallows and good conversation!
Happy Birthday to one of the most interesting and brilliant women that I am priviledged to know!

3 comments:

  1. How fun!! All those places sound awesome - it is always fun to try out new cool things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spending the day with you and showing you all my favorite haunts is what made my b-day so spectacular! Favorites are always best shared. (The first store was Ward and Child.) And as for being a great cook...ha! I was the one that burnt the white chocolate...at least Bacardi loved it. ;-) Thanks for the beautiful, memorable day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, the Apple Pie Apple is MY favorite too! What are the odds. :) Thanks for treating my sister to a fun day on her birthday!

    ReplyDelete