11.30.2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne is a great read. I had never heard of it before (or the movie that they based off this novel) and needed to read it for my Book Group tonight. I finally got around to reading it yesterday - it's a really easy, quick read - and found that I loved the writing style of this man and the story itself is, in my opinion, very inspired and it makes you reflect on humanity and the horrible event that was the Holocaust. I have no real understanding of the pain and suffering that the Jews went through but it's an incredibly sad thing, nonetheless. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. The book itself does not go into detail about the conditions of the camp. It's about a 9-year old boy and his innocent views of the events going on around him. There was some controversy by some about certain realities of the Holocaust not being portrayed correctly, which you can read up a little on Wikipedia, but I wouldn't do that until after you have read the book or you will definately come across spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment