8.23.2009

San Diego: Day 1

So as I mentioned, Paul had planned out our entire anniversary trip and kept it a secret from me for months! I didn't have a single clue as to where we were going until we checked our bags at the airport - I was very excited when I learned we would be going to San Diego!! I have never even been to California before so everything was going to be a first for me.
After an hour and a half flight (which was pure torture - I don't know how I ever made it all the way to Maui), and stopping by the bathroom to expell my guts, we were shuttled to Enterprise and then soon on our way to our home for the next four days - Paradise Point. It's a pretty cool place that has little garden homes all over the property and five pools, miniature golf, restaurants, a gym, and dock where you can rent sailboats, waverunners, kayaks, and more. It's very pretty there.



After settling in, we walked to the restaurant on the property to grub down since we hadn't eaten in eight hours...little bit hungry we were. The patio of the restaurant faces the ocean and there is a little moat that surrounds it where there are the biggest fish I have ever seen and sting rays that float around.

After that we went to Coronado Beach. It's very pretty there and crammed with people. I didn't have a desire to get into the ocean...it's just not as compelling as the water in Hawaii.

We walked the beach and a little bit of the city before we got back to the car and headed for a some monuement that I can't remember the name of and we didn't even see it because we didn't have cash on us to get into but I wasn't weeping about that at all. We did find this graveyard for fallen soldiers...extremely humbling (there had to be thousands of them)...and took pictures of all the views:


Returning to the hotel, we went to the main pool and sat in the hot tub and then laid out for awhile. The weather is unbelievable there and it felt so good to just lay there in perfect weather.

For dinner, we headed Downtown and went to the Hard Rock Cafe. I am always happy to go to a new Hard Rock and get my souvenier glass:

Afterwards, we walked around the giant mall which is just like the Gateway but it has three or four levels and it's ginormous. Then we drove around Downtown - it is so busy there!! There are pedicabs everywhere and all the bars and clubs have open windows and patios so music just blasts through the air down the entire avenue. I freaking loved it! After some exploring, we finally went home and crashed (I have to drug up to fly and so I am always a walking zombie for the first day of any vacation).

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. We are going to Oceanside next month. We get a condo on the Beach and have a great week. It's only about 30 min. north of San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun Fun!! You will love it - I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool guy you have to do this!!! Sorry about your flying problems. Bummer. =(

    ReplyDelete