3.24.2009

Safely Gathered In Rocks My Food Storage World!



Thanks to this blog:

We are on our way to becoming Safely Gathered In!



Paul and I have been buying bulk items at case-lot sales (thanks to Macy's gigantic case lot and food storage extravaganza's!) to add to our long-term food storage, but I have always felt overwhelmed at the thought of getting everything I needed, how I was going to make meals out of pantry-friendly only food and learning how to make bread out of your own wheat and all the good stuff. It was just too much to wrap my mind around at the time and when that happens, my mind shuts down and automatically files it to "Later." I kept putting it off and adding to my storage in cans for the time being. But then I happened upon these ladies awhile ago and I am hooked!! I love that they have made it so easy! It's like 'Food-Storage for Dummies!' and it's GREAT!! I have been so enthralled with all the information they give and the recipes they share and the way they let you follow along with gathering and rotating long-term storage items and emergency car kits.



I am working on getting my three-month supply together. I love the plan these girls came up with! I finally don't feel overwhelmed (well...as overwhelmed. I still have to think about where to stick all of this stuff)! I have my menu's all planned out and have figured out everything we would need to make all the meals on those menus and have even created me a little system (although I just discovered they have one as well) so I know what I have and what I still need. I have had so much fun getting it together and even found recipes of my own that will work. I am excited to test drive all the recipes I haven't used yet. Now I can add to my 3M Supply a little every time I get groceries and watch out for sales on the items we need. I have never been so excited about food-storage in all my adult/married/responsible life!! Over time, I plan to get myself a wheat grinder and become a Master Wheat Bread Magician and other equally cool (or dorky but still important) stuff!



I am so excited to make myself a cardboard oven and cook us up a meal or desert! Ooohhh cobbler would be delicious. I think I just might do that! Peach Cobbler.



I invite everyone to go over to this blog and read up on everything. I am sure that even those who are better prepared than most can still find some useful tips and information. They have wonderful 'How-To's' and give step by step instructions and pictures on everything. And March's Ensign has several articles on Self-Reliance if any one hasn't read it yet and would like to get themselves psyched about food-storage. I read those articles and found this blog at about the same time - it was like a heavenly thump on the head and an answer to my prayers!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to go to the website and read about it. I have been thinking food storage too for a while now and I am the same as you... I get so overwhelmed. The Bosch store on redwood road and 10600 has an awsome wheat grinder that Spencer and I want to buy!! FYI!!

    I did however go to Macey's as well and stock up on some things so if you are starving and like beans and tomatoe sauce we will trade you for some peach cobbler!! HEE HEE HEE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slowly getting things together. I have about 200lbs of wheat and then I realized...I didn't have any type of grinder to do anything with all that wheat! Yikes. I now have a hand-grinder. I pray Paul stays strong enough to turn the handle when we're older. =)

    ReplyDelete