2.06.2012

The Shape of Mercy

Mmmmkay.  So I wasn't supposed to read any books until I am up to date on Asher's journal.  I have the third book in the Hush, Hush series beckoning me every day from under my bed where I have hidden it from out of view.   
Friday night Paul and I went out with Paul and Teresa (for some Mid-Eastern cuisine which I loved) and we decided to find an ice cream joint around Sugarhouse afterward.  We ended up at Barnes & Noble instead because I have been craving the smell of new books and Paul and Teresa are quite familiar with their coffee-free smoothies - Win Win!!!
I needed to find our book club's latest read, The Shape of Mercy.  I heard a couple girls in the book club say that they loved every single page of this book and so I knew it would be one I would have to have on my shelves and not in my Kindle.  And I am so glad I do have it in hard copy because I, too, loved every single page of this book.

It's written by Susan Meissner and, as Publishers Weekly comment says on the front cover, "She is a stunning storyteller."  I sat down with Asher to read and I was sucked in immediately and knew I was in trouble.  
This is a story of Lauren who transcribes the 300-year-old diary of a girl named Mercy Hayworth who was convicted and sentenced of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials.  I love Lauren's story and Mercy's story and the wisdom of the words of the author.  It's a book about how 'we tend to judge people based on notions rather than on truth, and without stopping to consider if we even have the right to judge them at all.' 

I love it! You should read it! 


1 comment:

  1. You have a knack for finding great books. Wait...what's that I hear...Hush Hush is whimpering with jealousy under your bed.

    ReplyDelete