3.15.2011

The Maze Runner

I thought I blogged about this book, too, but I must have some serious pregnant brain going on. Boo hoo.

Okay, so this book happens to be yet another trilogy. Which would be fantastic if it was any good. It starts out really good, capturing your attention, making you think, etc. But, seriously, it spends way too much time on things that nobody cares about, frustrates you entirely the entire time and then at the end, everything just happens really fast, too fast, and when it's all said and done you think: " What was the point of any of that?" Oh it's a fantastic idea for a story line but it needed a better reason behind it all.

The jist: Teenage boys one day find themselves in The Maze, their memories completely wiped out. They are added one by one and all have a role in keeping order in their little community while The Runners go out everyday, facing dangers and trying to find a way out of The Maze so they can all find The Creators and kill em for what they've done.

I usually like to finish trilogies, but I am pretty sure this one is going on the burner. Most of the Best Book Club Ever had a similar feeling. Apparently there is a movie being made from it, directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight, Lords of Dogtown) and I have to wonder if it will be any good at all for two reasons: The book (if they follow it, it will most likely bomb) and the director (she's good, but she blew Twilight hardcore and I have a hard time disassociating her with that)

Catherine has also directed Red Riding Hood, which hopefully won't be lame. If it is I will probably steer clear of anything she ever directs. Possibly even One For the Money: which is a shame because I love those books and Katherine Heigl is set to play Stephanie Plum.

2 comments:

  1. Paul has some "in" with the author of these books. I haven't read this one though I've read his previous series. BTW I saw Red Riding Hood and give it 2 out of 4 stars. Some great visuals, story lags. Call for more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Scorch Trials better than Maze Runner. I don't love Dashner's style, but the ideas are different enough that I'll read to find out how it all ends. I'll tell you all about it when I get there.

    The trilogy I just finished is the Chaos Walking series - starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go. Maybe I'll blog about it sometime. No, I won't.

    ReplyDelete