12.18.2011

Ouch.

Bacardi is one lucky dog.  And we are two very lucky dog owners!


Thursday I decided to take Bacardi with me when I went out to my parents house to watch my nephew.  It had been awhile since he had been out there to play with his pal, Jimmer.  

Bacardi and Jimmer have always stayed in the yard, on the canal or out with the horses.  But, they have never gone past the horses in the back or past the horse pasture in the front...except for the last few times Bacardi was out there they went for a little visit to the Mastif who belongs to our backyard neighbors.  That is part of the reason why I stopped taking Bacardi out to my parents because those two dogs are trouble and Bacardi was 'misbehaving'.  

Well I checked on them before I sat down to feed Asher and try to put him to sleep.  A little while later the doorbell rang and Dallin ran off to get the door.  I stopped him because I wasn't expecting people and I didn't want him opening the door for strangers.  So I hurry up with baby in tow to get the door and I find a young lady holding Jimmer by his collar and Bacardi is laying on the grass. 

My first thought was that they did something to her and I was in big trouble.  Turns out that she hit my dog with her car.  She was pretty upset and I felt super bad for her, especially when I found out that she was wearing a heart monitor because of her heart surgery she had had.  Yikes!!!  

I could see Bacardi try to get up and he would limp very badly and was bleeding.  She said that she saw Jimmer across the street (see....bad dog!!) and she saw Bacardi but didn't think that he was going to dart out into the road.  Bacardi has been trained never to go out on to the street but, as I said, he and Jimmer are trouble and it's bothersome.  Obviously Bacardi did dart out in front of her and she hit him and he rolled a couple times.  I'm thankful that she stopped and came to the door to let me know!

I immediately called my vet...who couldn't see him that day.  So I grabbed Gaven and found out where he had had to take Jimmer so often and they said to bring him in.  They were incredibly nice and fast.  As soon as I got there they took Barcadi to the back and I filled out paperwork.  Then the vet came and got me and explained what he was finding and that he would like to do an X-Ray.  The X-Ray showed a chip fracture at the top of his left back leg, which is way he was limping so bad.  He was also in shock and so they wanted to put him on fluids so they could watch him for the rest of the day and then let me know how things were going.  I was able to pick him up at the end of the day.

By the time we got home, you couldn't even tell he had been in an accident! His pain meds helped with that I'm sure because the next day he was acting mighty sore.  Poor pup!!!  As I said, we are super lucky that it wasn't worse and that he didn't end up dead. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, how scary! I'm so glad he's ok. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! This is awful! Where have I been that I didn't know about it! I would have brought you both some get well treats. Glad Fido is doing better.

    ReplyDelete